Environmental management Foreign direct investment Industry Planning, M&E methodologies Research methodologies Trade
Other areas of expertise:
Civil society participation Development aid policies Environmental Management Fisheries Foreign direct investment Industry Institutional capacity building Knowledge Planning, M&E methodologies Research methodologies Trade
Angola China India Indonesia Japan Kenya Lao PDR Malaysia Mauritania Mozambique Nepal Senegal Singapore Sri Lanka Tanzania Thailand Vietnam Zambia
Geographic region of interest:
Central Africa East Africa East Asia South-central Asia Southeast Asia Southern Africa West Africa West Asia
Project title: Life Cycle Assessment in Developing Countries and Governance in Global Value Chains
Description: Focussing on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) tools, the research concerns the capacities which developing countries need to build to adjust to environmental standards and thus increase their access to international markets. It will identify the efforts to be undertaken by the developing countries as well as the interventions to be initiated by developed countries as part of their programmes of international development cooperation. The objective is to gain scientific and practical knowledge on how:
1. To contribute to the methodological development of LCA as a valid and reliable tool for environmental efficiency in developing countries
2. To analyse the needs for capacity development within the network of involved stakeholders which will support the embedding of LCA with companies in developing countries
3. To analyse the drivers and barriers for LCA to be adopted as an instrument of governance in Global Value Chains (GVC), with a focus on the potential of LCA in encouraging anticipatory approaches for continuous adjustment to environmental standards in trade, and in strengthening product upgrading and innovation .
4. To discuss options for bi- and multilateral aid interventions in public and private sector activities and their combination in a coherent donor policy to most effectively contribute to capacity development and the enhancement of institutional arrangements as identified in 2.-3.
The project will deliver these outputs:
• A review of current discussions on the feasibility of LCA in developing countries
• Two case studies of LCA conducted for one selected product in the fisheries sector in Vietnam and in shrimp farming in Malaysia covering methodological issues, capacity constraints within the network of stakeholders, and LCA in relation to product development
• A proposed change strategy for each of the two case study sectors which integrates donor aid to the environmental sector, foreign investment incentives with national environmental policies to enhance capacities for adjusting to environmental standards and to effectively increase market access.
• Review of current discussions on bi- and multilateral aid interventions in public and private sector activities relevant as support to such change strategies